Prayer for the beatification of Mother Ignacia del Espiritu Santo
Prayer to Mary for Vocation
Marian Hymns and Prayers
In 1929, the bishop Singzon Institute was established in Catbalogan. It was a parochial school named in honor of Bishop Pablo Singzon of Calbiga, the first bishop of Samar and also the first bishop of the diocese of Calbayog.
In July 1946, the name of the institute was changed to Sacred Heart Junior COllege and later in 1948 became Sacred Heart College. The first ETC and first two high school graduates received their certificate of completion in 1948.
The different courses were given government recognition on the following dates.
July 1947 -------- Elementary Grade and Pre-school
July 1950 -------- High School/ETC
July 1951 -------- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education
June 1958 -------- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
June 1974 -------- Bachelor of ARts
June 1975 -------- Bachelor of Science in Commerce
July 1981 -------- Secretarial Course/Night high School
June 1992 -------- Bachelor of Science in Accountacy
June 1994 --------Two-year Entrepreneurship; Two-year Home Industry
The Permit for the two-year Associate in Computer Science was Granted in 1995 but the enrollment for the said course started only during the first semester of 1996 becuase the communication from the COmmission on Higher Education was received only inOctober. Additional Majors in teacher Education were applied for and were granted in 1995, namely; Religious Education, Science and Computer Education. The permit was granted for bachelor of Science in Computer Science in April 2000 and in May 2004 for Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
Physical Plant Development in Chronological Order
1952 - Construction of the Three-strey annex with the statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus enthroned high in the western corner overlooking the town.
1965 - Construciton of the three-storey concrete building
1981 - Construction of the sun-breaker at the side of the building facing Maqueda bay
1985 - Renovation of the school gate
1989 - Constructin of a small annex building for canteen, faculty room, dormitory, kitchen and living quarters for the auxiliaries
1990 - Establishment of Mother Ignacia Development Center
1992 - Construction of another small annex building for laboratory, GS/HS Library
1994 - Relocation of Finance and Cashier's Office
1995 - Construciton of Student's Lounge and restructuring of administrative offices providing individual office for each program head
In July 1945, after the war, the late Msgr. Miguel Acebedo who was then the bishop of Calbayog, invited the RVM Sisters to take over the management of the institute. The congregation sent Sister Ma. Sousa and Sister Ma. Josefina Contreras witht he former being designated as the first superior. Msgr. Vicente Figueroa, that time the parish priest of Catbalogan helped the sisters in the reconstruction of the old convent making int into a two-purpose building, that of a school and quarter for the sisters.
Expansion of Laboratory and air-conditioned College Library and Audio-Visual Room
1996 - A Construction plan for two buildings under negotiation. one to accommodate the auditorium, additional classrooms, and a bigger library and the other to accommodate the Home Economics room, Sisters quarters, bigger computer room and a scpeech laboratory.
The College enrollment for school year 1996-1997 decreased due to two factors namely: the increase of thetuition fee and the rigid screening for education students. The implementation of the schools rules especially on cheating, in uniform, on forgery and on the behaviour of students also contributed to the deceline in enrolment.
1998 - Blessing of the newly renovated three storey building, and adjacent building.